- 4 ears corn
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, finely sliced
- 1 piquillo peppers, finely sliced
- ½ cup blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 bunch parsley leaves
- 1 bunch Thai basil leaves
- 2 tsp Baharat spice mix
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- ½ bunch rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10
1 Toss the corn in half the olive oil, then cook over a moderate barbecue flat plate for 10 minutes, turning often, until golden. Cool, then slice off the kernels with a sharp knife.
2 Fry the chorizo slices in a pan over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper. Mix with the corn, piquillo peppers, almonds and herbs.
3 Whisk the remaining olive oil, Baharat spice mix, vinegar and rosemary in a second bowl and season with salt and pepper, then drizzle over the salad and toss gently.
COOK’S NOTES: Piquillo peppers are in most supermarkets, usually labelled as ‘Spanish capsicums’. Baharat is a traditional Lebanese and Middle Eastern spice blend that can contain from 7 to 17 individual spices. Versions are available in supermarkets, but for best flavour track down a Middle Eastern grocer.