- 1kg goat shoulder, diced
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, very finely sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp hawaij spice mix
- 1 Tbsp ground rosella powder
- 1L beef stock
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses
- 500g okra, halved
- 1½ cups vinegar
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ bunch coriander, chopped
- ¼ bunch mint, chopped
- lemon wedges, pita bread and yoghurt, to serve
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3½ hours
1 Season the goat with salt and pepper, then fry in a heavy-based saucepan in half the oil until well browned. Set aside. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook briefly, then mix in the tomatoes, tomato paste hawaij, rosella, stock, zest and juice. Bring to a simmer.
2 Return the meat to the saucepan, then simmer gently for 2 hours, topping up with water from time to time. Add the walnuts and pomegranate molasses, then simmer for a further hour.
3 Soak the okra in vinegar for 30 minutes, then rinse well. Fry in the remaining oil over a high heat for 4 minutes, then add the pomegranate seeds and herbs. Season with salt and pepper, then serve with the goat stew, lemon wedges, pita and yoghurt.