- 2 x 800 silver perch (or other freshwater fish)
- sea salt flakes and freshly-milled black pepper
- 8 juniper berries
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green capsicums, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
- sour cream, parsley and bread, to serve
1 Use a sharp knife to cut off the fillets, then remove the skins. Sprinkle the fillets with salt and refrigerate, then place the skins and fish bones in a large saucepan of water with the juniper berries and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn the heat off, allow to cool, then decant through a fine sieve.
2 Sauté the onions in olive oil in a large saucepan for 5 minutes, until softened, then add the stock, capsicums, tomatoes and paprika. Cook gently for 10 minutes. Dice the fish and add to the saucepan then cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then serve with sour cream, parsley and bread.