- 1 whole duck, approx. 2.2kg
- 1 tsp citric acid
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4cm piece ginger, minced
- 6cm piece turmeric, minced
- ½ cup golden raisins, chopped
- ½ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 1 bunch oregano, very finely chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp Mandean spice mix
- 1 Tbsp ground Basmati rice
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup date vinegar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 cup mixed vegetables, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- large pinch mountain pepper leaf
- large pinch saffron threads, soaked in water
- radish salad, to serve
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2½ hours
1 Pat the duck dry inside and out with kitchen paper, then sprinkle the cavity with citric acid and set aside for 15 minutes. Sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric in half the extra virgin olive oil for 3 minutes, until just softened, then mix with the raisins, herbs and half the spice. Stir in the rice, then season with salt and pepper.
2 Spoon the stuffing into the duck cavity, then secure with a skewer. Pour the vinegar into a large saucepan with 3L water and the cinnamon sticks and bring to a bare simmer over a low-moderate heat. Add the duck, then cook gently for 3 hours. Drain, then pat dry.
3 Meanwhile, sauté the vegetables, cumin and mountain pepper in the remaining extra virgin olive oil until just softened, then add the saffron water.
4 Heat the oil in a small saucepan until smoking, then ladle over the duck skin to crisp. Serve with the saffron vegetables and radish salad.