- 300g bakers’ flour
- 1 sachet (7g) instant dried yeast
- 175ml cold water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp (7g) fine salt)
- 2 Tbsp semolina
- 6 brown onions, finely sliced
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ bunch thyme, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 24 anchovy fillets, halved lengthways
- ½ cup pitted small olives, halved
Preparation time: 20 minutes + rising
Cooking time: 1 hour
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine the bakers four, yeast and water in the bowl of an electric mixer and stir with the dough hook or 2 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil then mix for 2 more minutes. Finally, add the salt and semolina, mix for 4 minutes, then cover and set aside for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
2 Sauté the onions in the remaining olive oil, seasoning well with salt and pepper. Once browned, add the garlic and thyme, cook for 1 minutes, then mix in the vinegar, molasses and sugar. Cook until completely thickened.
3 Roll the dough out to 1cm thick, then cover with the onion mixture. Top with the anchovies and olives in a trellis pattern. Set aside for 20 minutes, then bake for 30 minutes.