- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg pork and veal mince
- 200g mortadella, grated
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- 500g tagliatelle or gluten free pasta
- 1½ cup finely-grated Parmesan
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1½ hours
1 Sauté the onions, celery, garlic and herbs in half the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan for 5 minutes, until softened. Set aside.
2 Add the remaining oil to the saucepan, then fry the mince and mortadella until well-browned. Add the butter and cook for 5 more minutes. Mix in the tomato paste, tomatoes, honey, vinegar and spices and bring to a simmer.
3 Season generously with salt and pepper, then simmer for 1 hour, until thickened. Cook the pasta according to manufacturer’s instructions until al dente, then drain well. Mix through the sauce with half the cheese. Serve with the remaining cheese and parsley.