- 4 squab, quartered
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp palm sugar
- 1 stock lemongrass, very finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4cm piece ginger, minced
- 1 tsp native pepperberries, cracked
- 2 eschalots, very finely diced
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1L chicken stock
- 400ml coconut cream
- coriander, chilli oil and fried shallots, to serve
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 Pat the squab dry inside and out with kitchen paper. Mix with the curry powder, fish sauce, palm sugar, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, pepperberries and eschalots. Cover, then refrigerate overnight.
2 Fry the vegetables in the oil in a large heavy-based pot set over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Set aside. Fry the squab in the pot for 5 minutes, until browned.
3 Return the vegetables, then pour in the stock and coconut cream. Simmer gently for 30 minutes, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened. Serve with coriander, chilli oil and fried shallots.